Core Facilities and Big Data
Main areas of interest and priorities of the Focus Group
1. Benchmarking: to suggest best practices in the following:
- Evaluation of Core Facilities (internal, external);
- Quality assurance;
- Structured self-assessment; and
- Reporting of CF performance.
2. Best practice sharing:
- Share our experiences and identify and analyze present practices of operating Core Facilities (CF) at our institutions;
- Develop and suggest implementation of best practice at our institutions;
- Create a document containing suggestions for best operation of CF to be distributed to interested research institutions and government bodies; and
- Use CF for training and education among our institutions.
3. Financial sustainability: to analyze current practice and suggest the best models for the following:
- Public aid;
- Financial support;
- Level of support from local government/institution;
- Service contracts;
- Sustainability of core facilities; and
- Ways of getting funds.
4. Access rules and fees (open access): to discuss and identify the optimal approach for the following:
- Price calculation;
- Open access; and
- Definition of access rules to CF.
5. Database of equipment: to exchange information of the following:
- Existing instrumentation; and
- Share plans for future purchases (possible cooperation in tendering – approval from Strategy Board necessary).
6. Big data: to analyze the following:
- Data Management Plan (including Metadata schemas); and
- Big Data experience (sharing – training).
Focus Group Members
Focus Group Chair:
Focus Group Co-chair:
Members of the Focus Group: